Water is essential for life as no one can survive for long without it. Fluid losses occur continuously from skin evaporation, breathing, exercising, etc. and these losses must be replaced daily for good health. When your water intake does not equal your output, you can become dehydrated. Since water is essential for life, let's look at some of the benefits that you may not be aware of for your skin, body and hair.
- Drinking water helps maintain the balance of Body Fluids - the body is composed of about 60-80% water. The functions of these body fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients and maintenance of body temperature. Simply put...the body can't function without water.
- Water can help control calories - water and foods with a high-water content are absorbed more slowly though the body, which helps you feel full, thus eating less.
- Water helps keep the skin looking good - dehydration makes your skin look drier and more wrinkled, but when you are adequately hydrated so is your skin.
- Water helps your kidneys - your kidneys do an amazing job of ridding your body of toxins as long as your intake of fluids is adequate. Your kidneys trap extra fluid for the other bodily functions listed above, so when you don't drink enough water your kidneys don't function properly and you may even get kidney stones.
- Drinking water aids in healthy hair growth - like the skin, hair needs lubrication from the inside out. Water is transported from the roots of your hair to the tips. Your roots soak up the water inside your skin and hydrates the rest of your hair. If your roots are deficient in adequate water levels, your hair will eventually become dry, brittle and may stop growing at the maximum genetic rate. Even worse, hair that is deprived of proper daily water may stop growing completely. So, if you want soft, healthy hair that grows...start drinking water!
Wow...who knew drinking water had so many wonderful benefits! So, let's start kicking it up a notch by drinking a little more water every day. Your body and hair will appreciate it!
Need some easier ways to encourage your water consumption...Try these:
Infuse your water with your favorite fruit (pineapple and strawberries are yummy)
Have a cup of broth, that is. Sipping soup is another great way to increase your water intake in a way that’s flavorful and nutritious.
Try vegetables, citrus and herbs. Add some cucumber, lemon, lime, rosemary, mint and/or orange slices to your water and create your very own refreshing spa drink.
Finally, be creative - find out what works for you and drink up!
Catch you later,
Yolanda, Crown-n-Glory CEO